“SEO is not a rocket science, you just need to use your head.” – Fervil Von.
SEO is the ever-changing landscape and the link building is its very important part. However, within the few years, the procedure of the link building has been transformed a lot. Even, with the advent of 2015, many new technological advancements have been emerged in the SEO aka search engine optimization zone. It seems quite easy to analyze something when you have to take decision for something, but it is quite difficult chore to perform that specific task. Link building is the same procedure.
Definition of Link Building:
Content may be a King, but links still reign supreme.
Link building is the most significant and challenging SEO skill. It is a culmination of various skills like you have to acquire the expertise in the content creation, sales, programming, psychology and great marketing tactics, if you want the audience consistently visits your website or click the URL.
The links are the quintessential chunk of the link building campaign. The links that move the needle the most in the campaign are those that are relevant in the industry. And, the link building approach isn’t constrained to only local businesses, as you can compare your own site to all the sites in your niche nationally or internationally. This method is highly flexible in that you could just look at your local competitors or you could go deeper into the search results, cover number of cities, more keywords in each of the areas, or even pull the links from the companies in different niches in your city to find any city-specific links that add much local relevancy.
Benefits of Competitive Link building analysis:
- Relatively easy as compared to other link building techniques
- Data is promptly available to help prioritize
- Target towards the websites you know you will have a positive impact on your search results.
The link building analysis has been an indispensable part to search engine marketing efforts. As with the marketing, you need to benchmark where you are and what your competitors are doing in order to put the right work in place and also to track the performance.
Why the competitive link building analysis?
Executing a link building analysis on a competitor:
- Teaches you about the industry: It gives you an impression of which sites within the vertical are providing the links.
- Assists you understand your competitors, including:
- Their link profile and the reason behind their ranking
- Their strategies that they employ to acquire the links
- Their resources that didn’t acquire many links
The competitive link building analysis proves to be the great component. Your initial research into the industry is done, it assists you understand the competition and it gives you the trim and fresh list of the high opportunity links. You have to create a relevant to-do list and manage the process through. Let us begin to read the techniques of competitive link building analysis.
- Formulate a list of the competitors:
Making a list of the competitors assists you analyze the current market status. So, create a list:
- Industry influencers
- Those ranking for industry money keywords
- Notice fluctuations- who is at the top and who is losing
Make sure that the companies are related to the digitized world, but not only the brick and mortar companies.
- Scrutinize their websites on backlink tools:
Understanding the total link counts is a good and beneficial start to comprehend how competitive a website is currently. Take those competitors and run their sites through the backlink tools like OSE (Open Site Explorer), Majestic, Ahrefs, CognitiveSEO, etc.
This is an indispensable step as it includes the whole analyzation of the website through the tools and gets the required outcomes in the form of many aspects like backlinks, etc. There are numerous backlink tools in the market. So, pick the one that is relevant and helpful for your website.
- Understanding what types of links you need: Yes, it is the significant step in backlink analysis. Just, create the graphs per competitor from the granular competitor link analysis data. With all this data, you will acquire all the follow and no follow links.
- Remember your competitors do not sit idle and you are most likely using other link building techniques so it is sometimes difficult to tie and action with reaction in this industry, but you should get some analytical results.
- Page Performance:
This step will include the breakdown of the links per page and observe which pages currently have the most links.
This is extremely influential in understanding the current site performance, especially for various resource pages. This can assist guide discussion about the underperforming pages, pages that are currently performing well and where the focus of a link building campaign should or should not be.
- Final measurement
After the entire process of analyzation, to accomplish the step of final auditing is essential. With all the parameters accumulated, re-analyze your website and mark the positive and negative points and then start to wipe out the unfavorable aspects and make it correct and adaptable to the current market conditions.
The challenge will be figuring out how to get the links on certain websites, and of course, determining which websites you don’t want links from. With all the required and essential information available from your competitors, how could you willingly choose not to use it?
Aarif Habeeb has over 3 years Digital Marketing experience & is a Digital Marketing Strategist at Technocrab solution. Aarif Habeeb received her M.C.A in Computer Application from Gyan vihar University in May, 2014. Technocrab a Indian agency specialising in SEO, PPC and Conversion Rate Optimisation strategies that deliver industry-leading ROI.and he is working as a SEO account Manager at website designing company in delhi.